Quick hits via Twitter

Saturday, August 27, 2005

Door Number 6: Trying out a new name

Well, I haven't decided to the point where I'm ready to change the URL or anything, but for now, I'm going to go with the Door Number 6 name. The name ties back into a short story I wrote about half a lifetime ago. I don't have it handy, and it's been years since I've even read it, but it always meant a lot to me. The essential meaning of the "Door Number 6" phrase went back to the concept of the story:

A very down-on-his-luck man stumbled, drunk, into a bus station, ready to give up on his life. There he met another man, somewhat angelic, who seemed to offer him the opportunity to restart his life in a series of magical worlds. Passing one at a time through five different doors, the protagonist found himself briefly in El Dorado, Camelot, Oz, Shangri-La, and one other world I can't remember at the moment. In each, he found a measure of peace, serenity, and hope. And yet, he ended up deciding that none of them was right for him. Turning his back on the magical worlds, he headed back to reality--door number 6, the door he'd come in. The story was a little naïve, but earnestly felt, and it's got a soft spot in my heart.

So, at any rate, welcome to Door Number 6. Reality, but with a bunch of glimpses into other worlds...

No comments:

Slideshow