"Well, a gathering is brie, mellow song stylings. Shindig: dip, less mellow song stylings, perhaps a large amount of malt beverage. And hootenanny, well, it's chock full of hoot, just a little bit of nanny."--Oz, "Dead Man's Party," Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Season ThreeMy awesome wife is throwing me a party to celebrate the launch of Devil's Cape. I'm very, very excited and looking forward to it a lot. For some reason, I'm focusing on what type of music to play that night. Music from Louisiana would certainly be appropriate (hey, Joe, if you make it, can you bring that zydeco CD you played at your book party?), since the book's set in Louisiana. And I'll probably put on a pirate track or two (since the city of Devil's Cape was founded by pirates).
But I'm thinking that it might be fun to have superhero-related tunes. Here are a few that come to mind:
- Theme from Superman. Duh.
- "Believe It or Not"--yeah, it's cheesy as all get-out, but so am I, and I was a fan of The Greatest American Hero back in the day.
- "You Don't Mess Around with Jim"--shout-outs to Superman and the Lone Ranger? Oh, yeah.
- Maybe that new Heroes soundtrack that's coming out. I love Heroes.
- Those cool theme songs from the 60s-era Marvel cartoons ("Doc Bruce Banner, belted by gamma rays..."). Not sure where I can find those, but that would be cool.
- Other superhero movie scores (not sure how many I really dig).